Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:19:30 — 109.4MB)
Season 2, Episode 1; Intentional Influence Podcast:
How Shoulder Pads Started an Empire: Interview with Shapewear Pioneer Kathleen Kirkwood
In this Intentional Influence Podcast episode, Melissa Murray talks with Kathleen Kirkwood, shapewear pioneer and founder of Kirkwood International Inc., the longest running private company vendor on QVC, about her entrepreneurial journey, reinvention, and breaking the glass ceiling.
Kathleen Kirkwood, a former Ford model, began her entrepreneurial career in 1983 where she designed the original clip-on shoulder pad, Pints of Pads®. Pints of Pads® truly captured the 80s’ fascination with shoulder pads and soon Bloomingdale’s was offering Pints. When Oprah called to have Kathleen on the show to discuss women in business, business soared.
Shortly thereafter QVC TV discovered Kathleen, where she boasts a 17-year track record of growth, new products, and millions of fans (QVC is seen in over 90 million homes in the United States.) Her status as the longest running private company vendor on QVC attracted the attention of CNBC and Kathleen was chosen for a reality segment on Squawk Box.
Now almost 30 years later, Kathleen continues to revolutionize the shapewear industry with her innovative products, while also being a pioneer for women entrepreneurs. Kathleen was recently awarded the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) certification and the Baldwin Humanitarian award for her Bra Recycling Agency (B.R.A.) initiative.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The importance of reinvention for entrepreneurs
- How to make millions with one great idea
- Why investing in one product, rather than a collection, can grow your business faster
- Why joint ventures and strategic alliances can help your cash flow
- Specific advice for approaching national companies within a large industry
- Why a design patent may be more beneficial than a patent
- How to avoid the “avalanche effect” with your products
- The importance of making your story easy to tell so the media continues to call
- How investment pieces in your wardrobe can boost on-screen confidence
- How Kathleen successfully merged a shapewear business with a waste management business
- Appearance is power: How dressing intentionally gives you confidence
- Kathleen’s personal tips for gender neutralizing the workplace
- Why being a women owned business an catapult your income
In this episode we mentioned several resources:
- Kathleen Kirkwood QVC Fashion
- B.R.A – Bra Recycling Agency
- Sweat Protection Product by Kathleen: Glow Protection – Looking Good is No Sweat!
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
Related Articles, Books, Blogs, Podcasts and Videos on This Topic
- Google Hangout: Sandra Dee Robinson interviews Melissa on What to Wear for Media Appearances and Video
- Podcast: How to have a Powerful Personal Presence and Charisma on Camera with Sandra Dee Robinson
- Podcast: How to Reignite and Reinvent Your Personal Brand with Nancy Michaels
- Podcast: Makeup Tips for How to Look Great on Camera with Ashley Fierro
- Blog: Lose Weight at Feel Great for Your Media Appearance with Celebrity and Private Weight Loss Coach Sara Christensen, Part 1 and Part 2
This episode of Intentional Influence is sponsored by G&A Legal, who provides brand protection and intellectual property services including copyrights trademarks and patents. G&A Legal helps protect your important business assets including your names, logos and inventions.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
Share the Intentional Influence Love
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the podcast and our mission.
Leave A Comment